Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An old story most of you have heard

So it is 11pm and we get called out to bring this sweet old man to his house after a harrowing day in the ER. This trip should take about 30 minutes and then it is back to my cozy spot on the couch checking my eyelids for their light safe characteristics. So everything wwent fine with this guy, good spirits, nice, stable, but well seasoned at 85. I checked the address and I knew where it was (which is good since I was driving) and away we go. So as I pull into this complex the address was B2. I soon noticed after parking and walking through the complex that there was no B2 in the place. So I thought "Hey maybe it is 2B!" Looking at the buildings I soon noticed they went 1 to 3 to 4 and all the way to 12. No 2? This was kind of strange. So after calling my dispatcher who unfortunately thought the address was for a different town entirely, my partner called the mans wife who after explaining that WE had her husband and were bringing him home tod us she lived in "4". So we took the patient to building 4 and began knocking on the door. There was no answer. My partner went around the other side of the building and startled an elderly lady who had no clue what we were doing there or who this poor man on our stretcher was. We called again as the man was gettng quite scared and upset. Apparently he thought we were just going to give him to the first person who opened a door for us. This time we asked the mans wife if she could see our ambulance from where she was. To this she replied "yes". We then asked her what unit she was in and again she told us "4". So we asked her to flip her light on and off for us so we could ascertain the location of the dubious "4" Loking around the complex I see the light flicker on and off at Unit 12a. This did not look like "4" but it was a multiple of the number so we took this poor man to the unit. Nervously I approached and found it to be the right one. We got the man into bed and all was well. Upon leaving I looked at the front door only to find that some sadistic bastard with an equally twisted sense of humor had placed the numeral"4" on her front door. Fair enough I though.
As we are driving away from this adventure I was getting some fresh air, my window down, passing the state hospital when god decided to yank my chain one more time and suck my paperwork out of my window and deposit it at the side of the road next to the creepiest building at the Norwich State Hospital.
But this night only got better. At about 145am we get called out to a "Deranged Person" near the bus station downtown. We arrive and there are three police cars surrounding a very large and very angry man. "Greeeaaaat" I thought. Lucily my partner had dealt with this guy and they had a rapport. So she got into the back with him, his sleeping bag, and his backpack. He had been drinking the better part of a 30 pack and was feeling very angry and stated he had recently lost his father and had just buried him. So we get to the hospital and as he is getting out we helped him zip up his backpack. Well when he said he had buried his father it was only parttially true. Apparently his fathers wishes were that he be cremated. And this guy has "buried" his father under a t-shirt in his backpack. Keeping him close at hand for when he neded him apparently. So into the ER we go as this guy us telling us that he is going to fight everyone he can once we are in there. We sit him down, clutching the backpack, and explain to the charge nurse the situation.
Well he is a bit upset and angry about losing his father and he has also been drinking. He has beer in his backpack.
He has beer in there?
Yes and he says his father is in there too.
Oh his father is in his backpack eh? (sly smile here thinking this guy was imagining it)
No really...his father died recently and he is IN the backpack.
Your serious?
Yep.
I can't make this crap up people.

No comments: