Sunday, May 30, 2010


"Hey...hey Man...yeah you" The man smelled as if he had used beer for bodywash and sauntered up to me as I was gathering my patients belongings.
"You got an ambulance out there?"
"I sure as hell hope so" was my reply.
"Cmon. Let me drive it"
"Nah......My partner would get upset. Its the highlight of his night to drive and I couldn't take that away from him"
"You guys suck"

And to think. This wasn't even the dude I was picking up. Turns out the guy I was picking up was built like a linebacker, clutching an apple juice in one hand and a bible in the other. Apparently He had been hearing demons tonight that had been telling him to kill himself. My only question to the man was this "What are they telling you to do to me?"

Most of us have the common sense to ignore those inner voices rather than try and start meaningful dialogues with them. Either that or we assign the inner voices to our housepets. Cats apparently lead the way in this due to the increasing frequency of crazy cat ladies.

"Nope. They aren't talking about you. They don't even know you" Boy was I relieved..

We all have inner voices. The ones that have separate conversations in our head while we are having another. The shoulder devil and angel that we all have but can never see unless we are in the middle of a bugs bunny cartoon. How many of us listen to them? We all have had moments where we have said "Was that my out loud voice?" Thats the demons getting out. Maybe its the ones of us who hold them inside and never give them voice eventually go mad.

So guess what I am saying is that we shouldn't fight these inner voices, rather we should embrace them and listen to them. but give them the same consideration we do that that crazy friend we all have, or that uncle that you just knew somehow that you didn't want to be in a room alone with. I've seen what happens when you don't accept your entire personality. Both sides, good and bad, right and wrong. To deny our feelings and innermost thoughts will only lead to madness and a trip to the zoo

No comments: